I created this vegan carrot cake with my mom during Easter and had to share it with you guys, because it’s the best vegan carrot cake you will ever have. It’s so good that no one will know it’s vegan and you won’t feel guilty eating it.
Ready to share this with your family? Get your ingredients ready and make the best vegan carrot cake ever!
Vegan Carrot Cake Recipe
Ingredients for cake:
- 2¼ cups flour (can use half chickpea flour and half all purpose flour)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (Make sure it’s fresh, so the cake can rise better)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or cashew milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups grated carrots (I get the one that is already grated to save the work)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup organic golden raisins
Ingredients for frosting:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked, drained and rinsed* (can also mix half raw cashews and half raw macadamia nuts)
- ¼ cup almond milk or cashew milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1/2 scoop of vanilla pea protein powder (Optional, but It gives extra flavor, Nutrasumma Brand is the best)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
*Notes: Soak your cashew/macadamia nuts for at least 3 to 4 hours, preferably overnight, then drain and rinse before using. I recommend using a food processor, but if you don’t have one use a good blender (nutribullet, vitamix, or similar) for this frosting.
Instructions for cake batter:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9×13 baking pan or cake pan.
- Use a large bowl and mix the dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt).
- Add the wet ingredients (applesauce, almond milk, vanilla, sugar, and oil) with the dry ingredients. Mix well till smooth.
- Add the shredded carrots and stir well.
- Add walnuts, raisins, and stir till it’s mixed evenly.
- Pour mixture into your greased pan and spread it evenly. Tap to get the air out.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool completely before frosting. Make the frosting while the cake is in the oven.
- Once you put the frosting, store cake in the fridge.
Optional: decorate the carrot cake with some whole or chopped walnuts, add 3 little baby carrots and cilantro for decoration.
Instructions for frosting:
- Make the frosting: combine all frosting ingredients into a Nutribullet or a good blender. Blend until very smooth for about 1 to 2 minutes or more if needed, scraping down the sides occasionally. If needed add an extra tablespoon of almond milk to get the blade moving.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes before spreading. (It will firm up a bit).
- If frosting is not enough make more
Enjoy it’s Dar-licious!